Did you know?
• One of us can provide 50% of a day’s requirements of vitamin C
• Lemon juice keeps cut pears, apples, bananas and avocados from turning brown
Why Lemons Are Good To Eat
• Like all citrus fruit, we’re an excellent source of vitamin C. 100ml of our juice has 48mg of vitamin C - enough for one day. Mixed with honey, our juice is often used to soothe a sore throat.
• We’re rich in pectin, a type of soluble fibre. Pectin is used for setting jams but it is also a type of dietary fibre. Some studies have shown that soluble dietary fibre can help lower blood cholesterol levels.
• If you eat one of us, it’s important to rinse your mouth with water afterwards, as our high acidity level can erode tooth enamel. Don’t brush your teeth immediately after eating us as the toothbrush can etch the acid into tooth enamel.
• Most people do not eat enough lemon for the kilojoules to count, but for those who do, 100g has 115kJ.